"Just wanted to say thank you very much for arranging the caravan day course that my husband and myself recently attended. We thoroughly enjoyed the day and left feeling very much more confident. We also gain so much from the useful tips and ideas. Your course is well thought out and covered all of our questions plus so many more that we hadn’t even thought of. When I booked up I was looking to come along to support my husband and to get a better understanding in general but your instructor made it so easy to understand and the way he talked us through everything. Thank you once again. I’m so glad we came. We can now look forward to making the most of our van and enjoying trips away knowing we are better prepared."Helen and Mark Bradley
"Dear Steve, Luke Many thanks for all your hard work and Patience to get me through my C1 test first time. Could not recommend you guys enough. Thanks again"Lisa
"A few months back I obtained my C1 license through trailer training and I just wanted to say a big thank you to both yourself and Steve Synyer who instructed me. From start to finish trailer training proved to be professional, reliable and excellent in all other aspects. Please could you pass on my thanks to Steve."Dan Ryan
"A big thank you especially to Steve and Ian for getting me through my C1 test. I’ll definitely recommend you to any one asking about obtaining the C1 or any other license in the future, very professional and organised company and a pleasure to have learnt from you."Dominic Cona
"I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the excellent quality of training I received from you. From my class 2, CPC Module 4 and then finally my class 1, The service I received was excellent and would recommend Trailer Training to anyone that asked me about doing their HGV driving lessons. Thanks specifically Steve, Kevin and Alison for their instruction. A special thanks to Barry for his instruction and on the test days getting me through them.5***** excellent Training and friendly staff Once again thanks"
"Just a quick line to say many thanks for the excellent course and facilities provided."Roy Legg
"Hi all the team at Trailer TrainingJust wanted to thank everyone, Mike Steve and Barry who have helped me finally achieve my CE Artic license after taking the test on Monday.In particular I would like to say a big thank you to Barry who was with me for the last two tests. His strict attention to detail and clear feedback from observing everything about my driving was a tremendous help. He was also very encouraging when I got things right which helped build my confidence and prepared me well for taking the test on Monday.I have been impressed by all the instructors and appreciate their skill and commitment during my training at Trailer Training UK"
"Hi Arron,Just a Quick E-mail to pass on my thanks to you, Luke and Mike (my instructor) for getting me through my Cat C test last Thursday with only 3 minors. You were all a big help to me, easy to talk to and answered every question I had. Thanks again for everything."Adam
"Good Morning,Yesterday I was on LGV 2 Refresher course with Steve. Thanks to his excellent teaching skills, I got back my confidence after 2 years not driving a lorry. I’ve learnt a lot from him and he has built the solid foundation."Darek Suski
"Hi TTUKJust wanted to say thanks to you all for helping me pass today! I was so shell shocked when I spoke to you all, but I really appreciate all the help and support."
"I just wanted to send a huge thank you to all of you at trailer training UK Ltd, especially John who trained me. Couldn’t have asked for things to go smoother and was so very professionally trained that I am sure I couldn’t have passed my test without the perfect training I had.Many thanks indeed"Richard Jarvis
"I just wanted to pass my thanks to Alison and Tim for their help on my lessons so far, and wanted them to know I’ve just passed my driving assessment that I needed for my new job! I’ll be back soon for the rest of my lessons and tests! : )Thanks"Holleigh Jankowicz
"Hi Luke, Just wanted to say a big thanks to you and your team for helping me pass today : ) I would highly recommend you to any one!"
"Hi, Just wanted to say a massive thank you to you guys for helping me pass my test today! A massive thanks to Tim, he was amazing!Thanks again"Kerry
Fleet Driver Training
Driver training is a core part of a fleet management programme and can address the safety of a driver but also can reduce fleet management costs through more fuel efficient driving skills and/or fewer crashes.
This course is designed for drivers of vans, busses / coaches and heavy goods vehicles, in order to assess their current driving practices and provide the relevant corrective training. An assessment is carried out in the driver’s vehicle over a designated route; therefore drivers must already hold the appropriate full category of licence entitlement to drive the vehicle.
As a result of the course drivers will have a better understanding of the core driving principles and better care for safer vehicle use, the vehicle condition as well as the need to preserve the corporate image.
- Licence checks
- Eyesight check
- Daily Vehicle checks
- Coupling and uncoupling (if applicable)
- Acceleration (including cruise control)
- Braking (service, exhaust brake, retarders)
- Clutch control, Steering, Gear selection and use
- Hazard perception and prioritisation
- Use of speed (legal and appropriate)
- Road and weather conditions
- Lane discipline and positioning
- Making progress and route planning
- Use of mirrors, blind spots and signals
- Overtaking/meeting oncoming traffic
- Reaction to markings, signs and traffic lights
- Driver’s attitude
- Vehicle sympathy/fuel economy
Things to consider with Fleet Driver Training
How many hours training per day you are actually paying for and getting?
Watch out for “it’s a 1 day course” ! Which actually turns out to just be 3 hours training per day, often not enough to cover all aspects of the course. We make it clear to you exactly what days and how many hours per day you will be getting. We charge by the hour, so we can tailor the course specifically to you.
Are the instructors that are teaching your drivers DVSA Qualified & experienced in the industry?
Where will the course be held?
Some companies will only carry out courses from their own location, Trailer Training UK Ltd can come to your location to make it easier to organise with your drivers.
Why choose Trailer Training UK for your Fleet Driver training?
- We have friendly staff at our established training centres in Southampton/Winchester and Greenham Park/Newbury, to service all our customers from the South & Home Counties and those coming from across the UK.
- Our instructors are DVSA qualified and our instructors have had over 25 years’ experience in the industry.
- We are approved official suppliers for Local Government, Emergency services, Armed Forces, Major Blue chip companies, construction/maritime/equine industries and other organisations such as the NFU, BHS, RYA, Caravan Club, BALI, CITB etc.
- We can offer training for up to 4 of your drivers at one time.
- You can come to our site or we can come to yours to carry out the training using your vehicles.
- Courses are available 6 days a week (Mondays to Saturdays) between 0800-1700.
- We have a Loyalty Card Scheme! We have launched a loyalty card scheme for all customers, if you would like more information about how to join please ask.
- Company Driver Assessment from
- Fees subject to VAT
- Using your own Company Vehicle
- Detailed Driver Report Provided
- ££125.00 Per driver (Group discounts available)
- 1 Day (4 Hour) Corporate Driver Development Course
- Fees subject to VAT
- Using your own Company Vehicle
- Detailed Driver Report Provided
- Driver Training & Development to Improve Safety & Efficiency
What you should you do next...
- Call / Email us to discuss or book your course – we can deal with any queries or discuss your requirements – We are here to help.
- Book your tailored course with us – Online here or call to find out more.
- After your first course, join our loyalty card scheme for future discounts.
Trailer Training UK Ltd has LGV / HGV training centres in Southampton Hampshire and Greenham Berkshire covering the south coast including Hampshire, Sussex, Dorset, Surrey, Wiltshire, Berkshire and surrounding areas.
Trailer Training UK Ltd has grown from strength to strength in the past 10+ years as an HGV / LGV training provider, and are seen as the industry leading training provider for our clients. Over the years we have helped many thousands of clients achieve their goals, acquiring new driving licences and professional industry standard qualifications.
We provide quality HGV / LGV driver training for the private client, government bodies, local councils, schools and major blue chip companies but to name a few.
Our dedicated team is lead by Director Steve Davis who has attained the highest grade DSA ADI qualification (Grade 6), Steve’s background is ex-army (Royal Corps of Transport), driving and instructing an a wide range of vehicles from teaching of road driving skills to blue light driving and instructing tank transporters students achieve there HGV class 1 (C+E) Steve left the military as one of the highest qualified in his field.
Steve’s team has vast experience and knowledge across both the HGV / LGV, PCV and towing industries so you can guarantee you will be in good hands.
We provide tailored, professional and affordable driver training in all commercial categories including car and trailer training (B+E), (HGV) LGV C and C+E, (PSV) PCV D1, Initial CPC and JAUPT approved periodic driver CPC courses, trailer handling and caravan courses.
Our clients travel from far and wide from all across the UK and some times even Europe, as well as locally including Winchester, Eastleigh, Southampton, Portsmouth, Fareham, Hampshire and further afield Dorset, Berkshire, Surrey, Wiltshire and W. Sussex to receive the best quality of service.
Our team of very experienced staff and driver trainers will take you through step by step, from your booking to completing your training and test. Our instructors have been training lorry and bus drivers for over 30+ years and we have a extremely high 1st time pass rate so you know you will be in good hands.
- Long Established PCV & HGV / LGV Training provider
- 93+% 1st time pass rate (2015) – DSA national average Apr 14 to March 15 is 55.4%
- Modern, comfortable and adaptable Fleet of Training Vehicles.
- The UK`s leading B+E Car and trailer training provider
- We are the Official Approved LGV C1 Training Provider for South Central Ambulance Service
- LGV and PCV Industry experienced trainers
- The South’s leading LGV C1 & PCV D1 ambulance training provider.
- We have DVSA ADI, HGV / LGV & PCV registered driving instructors.
- Our instructors are DBS cleared.
- Competitive training rates with our famous Loyalty Card Scheme
- Training consultants to the Camping and Caravanning club, NCC, RYA and local companies.
- Training provided for major blue chip, national and local companies
- Preferred all categories driver training provider for HM Royal Navy & BAE Systems 2010, 2011,2012.
- JAUPT Approved Periodic CPC training centre
- CIEH Approved First Aid training centre
The rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your driving test.
You can view your driving licence information online to see if you’re allowed to tow.
Licences issued from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:
- small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
- a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)
If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.
You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.
Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:
- drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to750kg MAM
- tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
For anything heavier you need to take a category B+E driving test.
Licences held before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.
This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road.
You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.
Towing heavier combinations
If you want to tow heavier combinations, you’ll have to first apply for provisional entitlement to the new C1+E entitlement. You’ll then have to pass the category C theory test and C1+E practical test.
Once you’ve done this you can drive vehicles and trailers with a combined weight of up to 12 tonnes MAM.
- Category B
You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).
You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.
- Category B + E: Car and trailer
You can drive a category B vehicle with a trailer when they have a combined weight over 3,500kg.
- Category LGV C1: Medium goods vehicles 7.5t
You can drive vehicles weighing between 3,500 and 7,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg).
- Category LGV C1: Ambulance
- Category LGV C1+E: Medium goods vehicle and trailer
You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg, but the trailer – when fully loaded – can’t weigh more than the vehicle.
The combined weight of both can’t exceed 12,000kg.
- Category LGV C: Ridged lorry
You can drive vehicles over 3,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg).
- Category LGV C+E: Articulated lorry
You can drive category C vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.
- Category PCV D1: 9-17 seat Minibus
You can drive vehicles with:
no more than 16 passenger seats
a maximum length of 8 metres
a trailer up to 750kg
- Category PCV D1+E: Minibus and trailer
You can drive D1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg, but the trailer – when fully loaded – can’t weigh more than the vehicle.
The combined weight of both can’t exceed 12,000kg.